Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Serves 4
½ cup flour
2 teaspoons salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup fine bread crumbs
4 (6-ounce / 170-g) tenderized top round steaks, ½-inch thick
Vegetable or canola oil
For the Gravy:
2 tablespoons butter or bacon drippings
¼ onion, minced
1 clove garlic, smashed
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Set up a dredging station. Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, black pepper and
garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Pour the buttermilk into a second shallow bowl.
Finally, put the bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon of salt in a third shallow bowl.
- Dip the tenderized steaks into the flour, then the buttermilk, and then the bread
crumb mixture, pressing the crumbs onto the steak. Put them on a baking sheet
and spray both sides generously with vegetable or canola oil.
- Set the temperature of the air fryer oven to 400ºF (204ºC). Press Start to begin
- Transfer the steaks to the air fryer oven perforated pan, two at a time, and air fry
for 10 minutes, flipping the steaks over halfway through the cooking time.
- While the steaks are cooking, make the gravy. Melt the butter in a small saucepan
over medium heat on the stovetop. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for
five minutes, until the onion is soft and just starting to brown. Stir in the flour and
cook for another five minutes, stirring regularly, until the mixture starts to brown.
Whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a boil to thicken. Season to taste with
salt, lots of freshly ground black pepper, and a few dashes of Worcestershire
- Pour the gravy over the chicken fried steaks and serve.