Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 minutes | Serves 2
½ cup yellow cornmeal, medium or finely ground (not coarse)
¹⁄ ₃ cup all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¾ pound (340 g) skinless trout fillets, cut into strips 1 inch wide and 3 inches long
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
- Set the temperature of the air fryer oven to 400ºF (204ºC). Press Start to begin
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, black
pepper, and cayenne. Dip the trout strips in the egg, then toss them in the
cornmeal mixture until fully coated. Transfer the trout to a rack set over a baking
sheet and liberally spray all over with cooking spray.
- Transfer half the fish to the air fryer oven and air fry until the fish is cooked
through and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer the fish sticks to a plate and
repeat with the remaining fish.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, capers, tarragon, and
lemon juice. Season the tartar sauce with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the trout fingers hot along with the tartar sauce and lemon wedges.